Recently I was watching this interview of rapper Big Sean talking about his relationship with actress Naya Rivera. In his interview with Necole Bitchie, he boasts about getting home from the studio and Naya wakes up, to make him diner…at 4:00 am. I replayed that section like four times…4am?
You know what, I’ve always thought of myself as the good girlfriend type. I’m faithful, I don’t nag guys and I don’t take issues too personal (Ahem…assuming my ex is dead and that you can’t sue people for lying). But lately, My type of good girlfriend is getting out of style! Like Girls are making this too competitive…cooking at 4am…the hell? I mean, if I love you so so so much and you’re coming back at 4am…first of all why are you coming back at 4am?…the most effort I will make is to leave a sticky note telling you where the food is. Seriously, who has time to get up in the middle of the night in full gear and start frying things…not me! Naya girl, Sean better wife you for that effort.
A few weeks ago I see a bunch of my friends gathered around this one girl gasping and laughing. I join the conversation only to find them looking at her “Ring”. She got engaged over the summer. Yea my friend is getting married! Whatttt…quit playing! So while everyone is screaming and hugging…this is me;
Are you serious?
You’re really gonna do this?
Aren’t you so young?
Do you even know him well?
Is it because you’re pregnant?
Is that even a real diamond? (I know…I’m a pathetic loser for asking!)
I stopped when the dirty looks started to become obvious. Here’s the thing, I love hearing that people are getting married. But that’s because it’s always been older people in their late twenties, thirties and more. But check this out, this girl is twenty three…yea yea yea laugh all you want, but for real, I was freaked out for a second. And for no other reason except for the fact that I am the same age as her. No, I don’t think she is too young to get married 23 is perfectly fine. It’s me!
I’m too unserious to take on marriage. Here’s what’s crazy. How do people know “The One” so early? One year in and a date is set. I don’t trust this generations…too many actors and actresses…you need time to really know each other. Then you need time to think about where the relationship is going. I mean we all know those partners who profess their love and between the “awww, you’re my everything too” were thinking “no no no, it can’t be you, God Loves me…my husband is still out there”. And as if figuring out the one is not already scary, my lifestyle scares me too. Here are five reasons I am too selfish to be married now.
1. Breakfast? I get out of bed just in time to take a shower, dress up and drive through massive traffic (while applying foundation, mascara and lipstick) to reach work five minutes late which is the maximum amount of late arrival minutes that can be excused at the job without penalties. Hell no, I’m not getting out of my bed 30 minutes early to switch the coffee maker on for you. What’s wrong with your legs?
2. Alone time. Don’t we all need it? Sometimes I wake up and I do not want to hear another human breathing within a 20 feet radius of me. I’m not mad, I just want to be alone, thank you.
3. Have you seen my closet? I call it the clothes where I keep my room. My floor is a pile of denim, tees, books, shoe boxes, shopping bags and a lab coat somewhere in there. Nope, I haven’t rethought my behavior.
4. Kids. I love kids, but kids are on a constant mission to kill themselves. You have to watch them every second of every minute. They climb curtains, play with knives, run on the stair case, and eat blades. My niece and nephew are the most adorable bunch but fifteen minutes in and I’m done! Don’t touch my phone, don’t touch my iPad, don’t touch the TV, sit your lil butt down and watch cartoons like a normal kid…that I have never seen.
5. Sharing a bank account. I’m sorry, were you there while I slept for 2 hours…in a day, had water for breakfast, chewing gum for lunch and cereal for diner, had to work two jobs to pay off my bills and bribe the maintenance guy to steal my neighbor’s internet password, so I could survive off of their wireless? ‘Bro’ you haven’t been in my struggle and so you will not be included in my bank balance.
I have a special respect for married women, they have a certain calmness that we selfish youngster wannabes don’t have. And honestly, I respect them for accepting to let another human in their life to care for…for free. You deserve it all and more. Long live the couples.